HOW CAN WE HELP?
We are a walk-in only service. For more information, please call our helpline on 1300 654 314.
Call 6207 1874 or 1300 654 314
Domestic Violence and Personal Protection Order Unit
Legal Aid ACT helps all members of the ACT community who have concerns about their safety. We have specialist domestic and family violence lawyers who are available to provide you with free legal help every day of the week at the ACT Magistrates Court, regardless of how much you earn or what property you own.
Our services include:
- Assistance applying for Family Violence Orders
- Assistance understanding and responding to Family Violence Orders
- Referrals to non-legal support services.
- Assistance to access non-legal solutions.
For ongoing legal assistance and representation see Applying for Legal Aid.
Family Advocacy and Support Services
The Family Advocacy and Support Services (FASS) is a free service providing assistance to families with family law matters who have also been affected by family violence.
You are eligible for support from this service if:
- You or a family member have experienced, used or are alleged to have used family violence in your relationship; and
- You need legal assistance with family law, child protection or family violence intervention orders.
FASS Duty Lawyer Service
The FASS duty lawyer may be able to:
- Provide legal advice, information and referrals in relation to family law, family violence and child protection matters
- Negotiate with the other party to sort out arrangements for children
- Help sort property problems after separation
- Help prepare court documents to initiate or respond to family law proceedings in urgent parent matters
- Assist with subpoenas to gather evidence about the family violence
- Provide representation in urgent interim matters where there are allegations of family violence.
FASS Social Support Services
The FASS social worker can help with:
- Safety planning and risk management when attending court, at home and in the community
- Providing support before, during and after court
- Providing warm referrals to relevant service providers for counselling, financial, accommodation and other services that can help.
How to access
Come to Legal Aid's Family Law Duty Service at the Family Court registry between 10.00am and 3.00pm each weekday. You do not need to make an appointment. See Duty Lawyers at Court for more information.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call (02) 6243 3431
Due to COVID-19, the best way to access FASS is by calling (02) 6243 3431. We are not currently physically located at the Family Court. This information is current as of October 2020.
Information & Education
For further information on Family Violence Orders and Personal Protection Orders, visit our Information & Education page for useful factsheets and videos. These factsheets and videos provide legal information only and are not a substitute for legal advice.
Domestic Violence and Personal Protection Orders Unit
Location: ACT Magistrates Court
Address: 4 Knowles Pl, Canberra
Hours: Monday to Friday 9am to 4pm. Walk-in service only – no appointments allowed.
Phone: (02) 6207 1874 or 1300 654 314. Find out the opening hours for the Legal Aid Helpline here.
Family Advocacy and Support Services
Location: Legal Aid ACT
Address: 2 Allsops St, Canberra
Hours: Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm
Phone: (02) 6243 3431
If you are unsafe call the Police on 000 for emergency help.
Canberra Rape Crisis Centre
Confidential counselling and advocacy for women and children who have experienced any form of sexual violence recently or in the past.
Hours: 7am to 11pm Monday to Friday
Phone: (02) 6247 2525
Domestic Violence Crisis Service
DVCS supports all people affected by domestic/family violence. This includes people who are subjected to violence and abuse and people who use violence and abuse.
Hours: 7 days / 24 hours service
Phone: (02) 6280 0900
Nigel Bowen Commonwealth law Courts, Cnr University Ave & Childers Street Canberra
Opening hours: 8.45am to 4.30pm
Phone hours: 8.30am to 5.00pm
Phone: 1300 352 000
Victim Support ACT
Anyone who is a victim of a crime committed in the ACT is eligible for some support or information from Victim Support ACT.
Phone: 1800 8222 72 or (02) 6205 2066
Women's Legal Centre ACT & Region
The Women's Legal Centre provides legal assistance to women. The Centre's main areas of practice are family law, victims of crime, employment and discrimination.
Hours: 9.30am to 5.00pm, Monday to Friday
Phone advice line: from Canberra: (02) 6257 4377, from outside Canberra: 1800 634 669
1800 RESPECT (1800 737 372)
National Counselling helpline and information and support 24/7